Sunday, December 6, 2009

Peppermint Truffles


I love living in Austin so far. There is very little I miss about Cincinnati. However, there is no Trader Joe's in all of Texas - which is just WRONG. This time of year, I was quite bummed about not having any of their Candy Cane Joe Joe's.
These are special cookies that TJs produces during the holidays. They are a peppermint Oreo type cookie that are simply delicious. TJs only makes them available from late November to right after Christmas. In years past, I was not above stockpiling them in my pantry. I talked my sister into driving all the way across Columbus to buy several boxes and ship them down to me. Holiday crisis averted!

Last year, I made Oreo truffles during the holidays and decided to experiment with the recipe, substituting Candy Cane Joe Joe's for the Oreos. This recipe is so easy it is embarrassing. I call this my Sandra Lee moment - I'm almost ashamed to post it because it only has 4 ingredients.

You will be surprised at the taste when you make them, they are damn good and people love them. Plus, they look pretty and festive. Great to take to parties, give as gifts or surprise your co-workers.

Peppermint Truffles

1 box of Candy Cane Joe Joe's
8 0z package of cream cheese
12 oz bag of semisweet chips
1 o2 2 candy canes, crushed

Into a food processor, place about 2/3 of a package of Candy Cane Joe Joe's.
Break them into chunks for easier processing. Grind the cookies up until you have 3 cups of cookie crumbs.
Add 8 oz of cream cheese and process until well combined.
Line a rimmed cookie sheet with wax paper.
Using clean hands, shape the cookie dough into 1" balls. You should get approximately 36 balls. Place the cookie sheet into the freezer for about 30 minutes or so. You want the truffles to be hard enough to dip.
Meanwhile, over a double boiler, melt the bag of chocolate chips and crush the candy canes.
Working quickly, dip the truffles into the melted chocolate and dust with crushed candy cane. Place the truffles into the refrigerator and leave them there until almost ready to serve.
I like to store uneaten truffles in the fridge, so they stay fresh and don't get too soft.



Here they are on a holiday platter.


No comments:

Post a Comment