Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bacon & Asparagus Quiche


I usually make a nice breakfast on Sunday. Whenever I ask Mike what he would like for breakfast, he always says bacon and eggs. Under no circumstances would Mike ever agree to eat anything containing spinach, zucchini or asparagus. So the first time I made this I had to get up early and get it in the oven before he had time to object. I've been making this for a few years now, so I don't have to sneak it into the oven anymore. He even eats seconds.

Quiche is really easy, you can use virtually any ingredient in it and it will turn out fine. Serve it with fruit for breakfast or some lightly tossed greens for lunch. Also, leftovers reheat beautifully.

Bacon & Asparagus Quiche

10 asparagus stalks, trimmed, chopped into bite sized pieces and steamed tender crisp
5 bacon slices, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 unbaked pie crust (I just use a frozen Pet Ritz pie shell)
3 eggs
3/4 C. half and half (I use FF half and half)
1 C shredded Swiss cheese
salt and pepper to taste
dash of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook bacon, crumble and set aside.
Steam the asparagus until tender crisp. I steam it in the microwave - takes about 3 minutes. Drain and set the asparagus aside.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper and nutmeg until well combined.



Into the pie shell sprinkle the bacon and asparagus. Add half of the cheese. Pour on the egg mixture and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes until the top looks a little puffy and golden. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 4 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment